Thursday, August 21, 2008

No school

This was supposed to have been the first full day of school, but they made the decision to cancel it today because typhoon Nuri is headed directly for us. At 10:30 in the morning, there are about a dozen teachers in S'bucks, and it is windy and cloudy outside, but nothing serious; the typhoon isn't supposed to be here until late this afternoon and for now it feels like a holiday.

My class, in the half day that I got to spend with them, looks lively but mostly well-behaved. I have sweet Korean girls with English names like Helen and Phoebe and Charlene, and 3 Korean boys with difficult names like Dong Hyun, Jun Ho, and Yoong Jun (as near as I can recall). Things were chaotic and somewhat frustrating yesterday because of the lack of supplies, but I'm hoping that it will all get sorted out soon.

As I sit here looking out at the square, I wonder how bad the winds will get, and how much of what I see will still be intact after the storm. Palm tree fronds can turn into flying daggers in the wind, and all those potted plants could become rolling cannonballs, but I will be safely home by then. I will post the aftermath when I'm back here again (I can't get DSL at home right now because I should've applied before I turned my passport in for the work visa, so now it may be another few weeks.) As they say here, TIC (This is China...)