Saturday, August 16, 2008

Coffee at Starbucks

As I was leaving Bellingham, the wild blackberries in the fields near my home were barely starting to ripen, and the part of me that wanted to stay in the cool, green Northwest ached for a few more days just to taste them at their sweetest. I left Bellingham after midnight on Saturday, with boxes and brooms and unpacked clothes that my dear brother will have to pack away for me still littering the floor. I drove my car to Seattle, no time left to sleep, and called a taxi to take me to the airport. Both flights were uneventful, which is the best anyone can say of air travel, and when I landed at Hong Kong airport Monday night, there was a van driver to whisk me to Shekou, and Britt, the school director, to meet me at my new apartment.
This is Wednesday morning, so I've been here only one full day and there's already much to write about, but I just wanted to get this brief note out to say that I've arrived. The people are friendly, and everyone at the school has been very helpful. I'm just 5 minutes' walk to school down a shaded street; the S'bucks is another 5 minutes more. I went to Ikea yesterday with my friends from Baku, Carla and Randal, and fitted out my apartment for now. The view of the harbor and Hong Kong beyond from my 8th floor window is fantastic! I'm out of batteries for my camera but will send a shot very soon, I promise.

Walking down the street yesterday, I stopped at a fruit cart where a man offered me a small round brown fruit that may have been a lychee. He peeled back the skin to reveal translucent flesh and I bit in, but I didn't like the strange bitter taste, so I bought bananas instead. It is hot and humid here but very lush and green, and for now, new flavors will have to take the place of beloved blackberries.