Saturday, September 13, 2008

Good company


I've always embraced spontaneity as a key element in my life. It relates to what I was writing about last time; being open to whatever presents itself in the moment keeps me from sinking into numbing routines. Of course, it can bring its own set of problems, but I think I've been particularly fortunate in that it has mostly brought great richness to my life. And living in a new place invites lots of fresh opportunities.

Yesterday, I was wandering around on the web, looking into travel plans for the break coming up at the end of this month, and I found a notice in a local ex-pat site from someone giving away a kitten. They responded to my email right away, and several hours later I was waiting in front of my school for them to show up. As seems to happen often here, 2 other couples were passing by, and they were so excited they decided to wait with me. So not only did I have the joy of getting a new kitty, but friends to share it with. Rose had her 2 little girls with her, and 3 year old Talinn erupted in giggles of excitement at seeing the kitty, so they all trooped up to my apartment to help get her settled in. The other couple, Justin and Sarah, live next door, with 2 small cats of their own.

I had planned to go to Hong Kong on my own today because I'm anxious to see for myself what it's like. Even though traveling by myself isn't the thrill it once was, I won't let that stop me from going wherever I want. (The teacher I'd planned to go with today got sick.) But now I think I'll stay close to Sweetie and make sure she feels comfortable here. Rose and the girls said they'd come over for a visit. And besides, there's a group going hiking on Hong Kong Island next weekend, and always a lot more opportunities, if I'm open to them.